Friday, November 22, 2013

Climbing Safely

I shared with my chiropractor how I had had difficulty reaching my smoke alarm when it beeped in the middle of the night and how I didn’t want to climb up on anything to take it down. And this is the comment he made...”You should never climb higher than you want to fall.” These very wise words set off a whirlwind of thoughts in me...

If applied to everyday living, these words take on a whole greater meaning. If we try to “climb higher” in anything we do without wisdom and prayer we are setting ourselves up for a possible fall. Climbing higher in the workplace, climbing higher to be seen, climbing higher to prove we can do it, or just being careless and doing things without thinking... none of these is good, and we should always measure the size of a fall. Any kind of a fall could slow down or “cripple” our chances to move forward.

Trigger points which may precipitate a fall are ego, greed, jealousy, carelessness, lack of wisdom... How much wiser it is to think things through and to wait on the Lord’s timing. If we are meant to climb higher, He will prepare us and guide us so that our footsteps will be sure. He can save us many falls if we only will wait on Him. In the Lord we will be able to climb safely, for when we wait on Him, we walk in His favor.

“Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.”
James 4:10 KJV

“He makes my feet like hinds’ feet (able to stand firmly or make progress on the dangerous heights of testing and trouble); He sets me securely upon my high places.”
Psalm 18:33 Amplified Bible

© 2013 Arlene Schwartzkopf