Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Learning About Mountains

I have been pondering about "hinds' feet in high places"...

When we desire to walk in high places God takes us to the valley for training until we are able to ascend to the high places. And eventually, as we are trained and ready, He takes us to the high places and gloriously blesses us. It is so wonderful on the mountaintop that we simply do not want to leave or look back to the "valley". But... when we get weary in the high places then we are in danger of mis-stepping or perhaps getting "injured". So God graciously says, "I'm going to take you back to the valley to recuperate." At that point He doesn't say, "And I may have something new in mind for you." He just says, "I'm taking you back to the valley."

This feels like a real "bummer"! But then suddenly something wells up inside and says, "Omigosh! He's going to train me to go up another mountain and walk in yet some new high places." And I begin to realize that perhaps all along He had more than one mountaintop planned for me. (It's probably good that He didn't tell me sooner!) Maybe the training for the new mountain will incorporate that of the first mountain, or maybe it will be entirely new. But mountaintops are something to look forward to. And it occurs to me that I might not even see what the new mountain is to be until I am in the place of "rest", totally still and looking up.

I am reminded of Phillip. He was walking in one place and then suddenly was translated to another place. It is God's hand that moves us in ministry or from one mountain to another.

May we always ascend the right mountain, and may we always reach the top. (I sure waouldn't want to climb the wrong mountain, What a lot of work that would be!!!) By His grace, and only by His grace, are we able to climb. Hallelujah! We have an awesome God.

"It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect. He maketh my feet like hinds' feet, and setteth me upon my high places."
Psalm 18:32-33 KJV

© 2008 Arlene Schwartzkopf