Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Living Word

As I was sitting and thinking abut the Word of God and how it works in our lives, my furnace came on. Suddenly I could feel the warm air coming from the floor vent and filling the room as the furnace fan was circulating the heat through my house. Now normally I would pay no attention to this, but God called it to my attention because He wanted to show me something.....

We function best when the Word of God circulates FREELY in our lives and in our thought patterns. As I began to ponder this I had to ask myself, "How many hindrances (or closed doors) are there in my life or in my thoughts which can PREVENT circulation of the Word? (If you clamp off the blood supply to any part of the body, that part will not function well). This was really something to think about.

The areas which seem the most likely are:
Time constraints and busyness..... just simply getting too busy to read the Word, or reading the Word and then not taking time to meditate on it and consider how to implement it into my living patterns every day.

Cluttered thinking patterns (like a log jam). My mind is filled with many different things in any given day.

Wrong or useless thinking patterns..... these are like "closed doors" and create blockages to circulation.

Failure to stay in the Word..... causing weakened circulation, and therefore a weakened life.

The Word of God is my lifeline. If I determine to make it operative in my life, it will identify every blockage and hindrance I have. It will locate hidden spots and "root out" difficult areas. His Word is alive and wonderful, and will continually bring new life.

And so I am choosing to just take times during my day to repeat Scriptures which I have memorized over time, and to deliberately just sit and meditate for a moment or two. I want the Word to cleanse and refresh my thinking..... to continually circulate within me. The more I do this, the more I feel the presence of the Lord around me. What blessed communion.....

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
Hebrews 4:12 KJV


© 2007 Arlene Schwartzkopf