Monday, November 21, 2011

A Thanksgiving Memory

At Thanksgivivg I always think of Margie...

Margie was a senior citizen in my neighborhood. I knew she didn't have much, but always when I saw her she was cheerful. She fixed her hair, had her make-up on, dressed in bright, pretty colors, and she was very pleasant to talk with. One day she mentioned to me that every night for dinner she had two tacos. It was all she could afford, but she felt that tacos had protein, vegetables and starch, so that was her best choice.

When time drew near to Thanksgiving I inquired of her, "Are you going to have dinner with your children?"

She replied, "No, they didn't invite me. But if I could, I would cook a turkey breast and invite my girl friend to come have dinner. We have such a good time together!"

As I went home and thought this over, I knew I wanted to surprise her. I went to the store and bought a turkey breast, potatoes, stuffing mix, yams and everything she would need for her meal with her friend. I took my full grocery sacks to her door and knocked. When I told her the bags were for her she peeked in, and then her face filled with joy. She was very excited... and showed it.

She didn't need to speak a word. "Thank you" was written all over her face.

© 2008 Arlene Schwartzkopf