Tuesday, November 11, 2008

"Thank You"

Recently I had a "lunch date" with my son and grandson at Taco Bell Restaurant. While we were there a number of military men came in to have lunch. Now my grandson, Nick, as an eight-year-old boy, has interest in everything military... the camouflage uniforms, the men and especially the Hummers and military vehicles they drive.

While we were there my son took the opportunity to share with Nick how we should always thank the military for serving our country. He wasn't really telling Nick to do it right then, but Nick got up out of his seat, walked across the restaurant to a booth with four servicemen and proceeded to thank them. The men thanked him, and one of the men shook his hand. Nick was not at all shy when he did this. He just took it to heart to do it. I'm sure it touched the men's hearts.

But I was touched also. It is so easy to lead children in the way they should go, and it is so beautiful when they follow in it.

"Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it."
Proverbs 22:6 KJV

© 2008 Arlene Schwartzkopf