Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Enough Space

Whenever I drive on highways or freeways I try to be especially aware of what is around me and how much "space" I have. Twice in one morning others got in my space and compromised my safety.

I was driving on the freeway in the right lane when all of a sudden, in my rear view mirror, I saw a car shift into my lane behind me. This car was dangerously close and I thought he was going to hit me. He had a transport truck following right on his bumper and was trying to get out of the way of the truck. But just as he shifted in behind me traffic in front of me slowed and I had to hit the brakes. I fully expected to be rear-ended, but God kept me safe.

That same morning, coming back home on the freeway I was again travelling in the right lane, this time with a loaded dump truck and trailer in the lane to my left. I was keeping an eye on the dump truck when all of a sudden I realized a transport truck with a long flatbed was passing me on the right... ON THE SHOULDER OF THE ROAD. He had come up behind me and I didn't see him coming. Now I was caught between two large trucks. There wasn't enough space for the flatbed truck to pass, but somehow God made space. A moment or two later I saw this same truck jump lanes up ahead and nearly hit several other vehicles. Surely God had set angels all around me!

Even as in everyday situations, when we see potential problems up ahead usually we can make adjustment. But when the potential hazard is coming from behind we are much more vulnerable. We just may not see the problem coming, and we are totally dependent upon God for our safety.

Every morning I pray over my car and all the roads where I will travel and ask God to keep me safe. He has faithfully answered that prayer many times for me. He has provided "space" where there was not enough space each time danger has come near!

When we call upon Him He will answer and keep us safe. We have an awesome God!!!

"He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble: I will deliver him, and honour him."
Psalm 91:15 KJV

© 2007 Arlene Schwartzkopf