Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Sing To The Lord

Gram is almost 100 years old and has many interesting tales to tell of her life on the farm as a young girl.

One such story was about a cow they had. This cow was testy and mean, and Gram and her sister always had trouble milking her. Each time before they could finish, she would put her foot in the milk pail or kick the pail over, spilling out all the milk.

So one day these two young girls decided to sing while they were milking her. And to their surprise, she no longer would kick the pail over. Also, each time the girls started singing, the other cows all lined up by the fence to listen.

One day I said to Gram, "By the way, what kind of songs were you singing?"

Her answer was, "Church songs."

This all took place back in the early 1900's, so I have often wondered what these two young girls might have been singing..... maybe, "Onward Christian Soldiers", or "The Little Brown Church In The Wildwood", or "Jesus Loves Me", or "Amazing Grace". These are only guesses, and it's fun to think about, but singing "church songs" became a solution for a problem they otherwise could not solve.

"I will sing to the Lord as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have my being."
Psalm 104:33 NKJ


© 2006 Arlene Schwartzkopf