Thursday, January 19, 2006

People Who Inspire

Dorothy

Dorothy was a very special lady......

I first met her as she stood at the door of our church greeting people. Always she was there with a big smile, welcoming people. She was well-dressed and always well-groomed.

Dorothy was petite..... perhaps four feet, ten inches tall. But I never thought of her as small, because as a prayer warrior she was more like nine feet tall - she was mighty!

She was an organist, playing for several churches over time, even into her 70's. She loved the Lord and loved to worship Him.

At times her life had not been easy, but I never heard her complain. Dorothy was married twice..... and widowed twice. I commented to her one day, "It must have been really hard to go through losing a husband twice!"

Her answer was, "Well, I never felt really alone. Jesus was always with me." This was the most prominent thing about Dorothy, and it was the secret to who she was. She knew the Lord well and always walked in His presence. She said once that when she worked full-time, she would go to her car on her lunch hour so she could read the Word and talk to Him. She had conversation with Him all through her day.

When I was going through a dark time in my life, she came alongside me in prayer, and she called me every evening to pray and encourage me. Then one morning she called me early and asked, "Arlene, are you okay?"

I said, "I think I am" ..... wondering what she meant.

She answered, "No, you aren't. You're in shock. I've been up all night praying for you!" (She was already in her 70's at this time.)

I had received some news the night before and had shared it with her. The news didn't affect me at first, but she was right. As the days went by, I realized that I was indeed in shock. It was like a cloud hanging over me, and I just couldn't function right. Nor could I change the condition by myself, because I just needed time to heal. But Dorothy stood by me daily in prayer and, after four and one-half months, the cloud lifted.

Her faithfulness as a friend was remarkable. From a heart of love, always she reached out to serve others. She stayed by my side for several years and was a very wonderful inspiration in my life.

At age 78 she went home to be with Jesus, Who was her very best friend.


"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."
I Thessalonians 5:16-17 NKJ

© 2005 Arlene Schwartzkopf