Wednesday, December 21, 2005

A Giving Heart

When our children were in grade school and still small, our family attended a large church which had very wonderful worship in their services. We didn't have a "song book", nor did we use an overhead projector. The people would just learn the songs as they came each week and sing them from memory. The worship was beautiful as the people sang and worshipped from their hearts and raised their hands in praise to the Almighty God.

After one of the evening services I was standing by the piano, and a young man from India came to me to inquire if there was a source or a song book where he could get some of the songs we sang. I told him that our church didn't have such a book, but that there was a small chorus book with some of the songs which was available in our church book store. He thanked me and left.

Now sometimes after the services we would give our children change to go to the book store and buy something. That was true this particular evening. Our son came back with a refrigerator magnet about Jesus.. ...he collected them. But our daughter didn't have anything when she came back. I said to her, "Why didn't you buy something?"

This was her answer: "A man came into the store to buy a song book. It cost $1.25, and all he had was a dollar, so I gave him my quarter."

This so touched my heart........ and I'm sure it touched the man's heart too, because our daughter was only seven or eight years old at the time.

"It is more blessed to give than to receive."
Acts 20:35b NKJ

© 2004 Arlene Schwartzkopf