Saturday, October 17, 2015

A Wonderful Neighbor

I live in a mobile home community, and I often saw a young woman out walking dogs... sometimes one, sometimes two... and not always the same ones. Even in very cold weather she did this.

One day I had the pleasure of meeting her. I found her to be very friendly and outgoing, and I learned that she had been walking dogs for other people who needed help with that.

Then one day I saw her raking leaves... large piles of leaves, for some neighbors who were on an out-of-town trip. And one day she came and rolled my garbage can out to the street when I couldn’t do it myself. A few days later she came and brought her phone number to me, offering help with whatever I needed, saying, “I love to help. And I don’t take any pay. We’re all family.” I was so touched by this. How many neighbors would be that willing to help or make that offer?

I have since learned that this petite little lady is physically challenged. She has just one kidney, and it is not fully functioning. I was stunned! She is small in size, but her life has great impact. She has a heart of gold and is full of love and old-fashioned goodness. What an inspiration she is!

“Let each of you esteem and look upon and be concerned for not (merely) his own interests, but also for the interests of others.”
Philippians 2:4 Amplified Bible

© 2014 Arlene Schwartzkopf