Saturday, March 17, 2012

In Step With The Shepherd

I once saw a painting of Jesus with sheep all around Him. Some of the sheep were running ahead of Him, some were lagging behind, some were just standing there.. but a couple were looking up to Him. This painting spoke volumes to me.

The man who owned the painting asked me, "If you were a sheep in this picture, which one would you be?" I have never forgotten his question.

To run ahead of the Shepherd is never good and can leave one open to error, or perhaps danger. To lag behind shows lack of alertness and the possibility of missing perfect timing. Those which stood around were "just there", but not very focused. Only two of the sheep were looking up at His face.

If I were a sheep in that picture I would want to be one of those two. They were at the Shepherd's side and looking up to Him. They were "in tune" with Him.

How much we need to be in tune with Jesus! He is our safety and covering. It is good to know Him, to be at His side and move in step with Him...

"And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him; for they know his voice."
John 10:4 KJV

© 2012 Arlene Schwartzkopf