Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Very Bright Light

When my mother was nearing 101 years of age it became necessary for her to be in nursing home care beccause she could no longer walk on her own. Her vision had become quite dim, so she didn't converse with others there at the nursing home because she couldn't see clearly enough to know who she was talking to.

At the nursing home she shared a room with a lovely Christian lady named Juanita, who was there recovering from an open-heart surgery. Juanita was 78 years old.

One day, when I visited at the nursing home, Juanita shared with me how my mother had totally transformed her life. Juanita's statement was: "I saw how patient your mom was as the nurses brought her in and out in the wheelchair, and she never complained. My own attitudes were really bad, and watching how she is at her age (in her condition) totally transformed my life."

I don't know if Juanita had expressed her feelings to my mom or not. But what a tribute to the light of Jesus in my mom. The witness of her life had brought healing to another even in those last few days of her very long life.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."
Matthew 5:16 KJV

© 2011 Arlene Schwartzkopf