Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Tribute To My Grandmother

I do not remember my grandmother because I was only three years old when we moved away to another state. But I remember hearing many stories about how giving and kind she was. One of the stories I particularly remember is the following...

Grandma was in the hospital and was suffering extreme pain. This was a Catholic hospital, and she called the nurse and asked to have the priest come and pray for her. The nurse explained that because Grandma wasn't Catholic that she would need to call a clergyman from a Protestant faith. Grandma simply replied, "There aren't going to be any partitions in heaven. Please have the priest come and pray for me." There was some hesitancy on the part of the hospital, but the priest did come.

This was back in the 1950's, and in that time this was a very unusual situation. But Grandma's love and vision far surpassed any barriers which others would have had and broke through in a glorious expression of love.

Grandma left an important heritage to her many children and to all who knew her. She loved the Lord and served Him faithfully all the days of her life. She lived a life of love.

"This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you."
John 15:12 KJV

© 2011 Arlene Schwartzkopf