Friday, September 03, 2010

Grandma's Quilts

It is fascinating to me... how my grandmother would save remnants and scraps of fabric and then sew them together to make beautiful quilts. The scraps were small and not useful for any other purpose, and yet became part of a beautiful design because of her diligence and her careful stitchery. Her quilt-tops were not stitched together by machine, as today's quilts are, but were carefully stitched by hand with a blanket stitch in a lovely "decoupage" of colors and prints. She did not let any scraps of fabric go to waste.

I am reminded of her lovely quilts when sometimes the pieces of my life feel scattered and there seem to be remnants here and there which don't fit together. I have gone through seasons where everything was in scraps, and it seemed that all possibility of putting them back together was gone.

But God doesn't look at it that way. He will gather up every scrap... and even find some you have lost. Then, with great love and caring, He takes these pieces and starts to create beauty where there was nothing, or where there was a mess. He creates a new "quilt" with lasting beauty, and His handiwork is strong and enduring.

I hsave learned that His love and caring are as a coverlet over my life in every season.

"For he hath said, 'I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee'."
Hebrews 13:5 KJV

© 2010 Arlene Schwartzkopf