Friday, December 12, 2008

Being A Mom

Being a mom is wonderful and certainly is never dull. Today I am recalling one very eventful day with my children...

When my son was four years old and my daughter was three, both of them being very quick-witted, I couldn't guess any day in the week what the day might bring.

One Sunday morning I was rushing to get them ready for church, and I thought everything was in place. We were ready to go out the door when I realized I hadn't put my lipstick on. As I went to do this I heard a major eruption... instant chaos... in the living room. I ran in there to check it out, and I couldn't believe my eyes. Both children were screaming and had blood all over their clothes. It seemed my son had tried to cut my daughter's hair, but in doing so he cut her ear!

She wasn't cut badly (nor did she lose much hair), but we had to deal with the bleeding and upset feelings. Both children were frightened and needed comforting. Then we had to start all over to get them dressed. Their pretty clothes were a mess. Obviously we were late to church and missed Sunday School that morning... quite a day!

The ear healed, the hair grew back out, and the clothes all got washed. But we learned early that with small children most everything is subject to change at some point... especially schedules. Looking back now, all of us can chuckle about that event.

© 2008 Arlene Schwartzkopf