Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Does God Heal?

I had been invited to play worship for a large conference at our church. I had not been playing the piano for awhile, but the Lord prompted me that I was to trust Him and He would enable me to do it.

The day the conference started, I got up early to get ready for the morning session, and I was feeling a little nervous as I was preparing breakfast. To say the least, I was a little distracted as I was cooking.

I was preparing waffles, and as each one was done I would put it on a plate and set the plate in the oven (with the broiler on "warm") so that the waffle wouldn't get cold. When I was done making the waffles, I reached into the oven to get the plate, but in my distraction I put my finger and thumb on the oven coil instead of the plate. I jerked my arm back to see how badly I was burned. There was a blackened groove across both my finger and thumb. I couldn't believe this! What a problem I now had!

I went to the sink and began to let cold water run over the burns while I was trying to think what I was going to do. My mind was momentarily blank, so I just stood there and let the water run. At least it was blocking out the pain. Just then my son came into the kitchen, so I turned off the water to show him what I had done. As I showed him my fingers there was NO SIGN of the burns. God had intervened! The burns were totally gone and the pain was gone!

As unnerving as this experience was, it became an encouragement to me that I would indeed be able to play for the conference without failing. God had shown me in a very special way that He is strong when we are weak. What an awesome God we serve!


"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: who forgiveth all thine iniquities: who healeth all thy diseases: who redeemeth thy life from destruction: who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies: who satisfieth thy mouth with good things,: so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's."
Psalm 103:2-5 KJV

© 2006 Arlene Schwartzkopf