Thursday, April 26, 2007

A Re-Charged Battery

When our children were in grade school both of them needed orthodontic work on their teeth. So we made many trips to the orthodontist's office over time. His office was in an area which required driving up a long, steep hill. I never liked that hill from the first time I drove on it.

One summer day (a very hot day) I was coming down this hill and my battery went dead. Since I had power steering and power-assist brakes, I had trouble steering and also lost some of my braking ability. I started praying really hard. I truly needed God's intervention in this situation, and I could feel Him holding the car back. When I got to the bottom I needed to get off of that street because there wasn't any place to pull over. After a few blocks I turned onto a side street and coasted to a stop. Making the turn was difficult without my power steering to help me.

There we sat... probably twelve miles away from home. I tried to re-start the car but heard no sound. It was totally dead. Again we started to pray. I tried the starter one last time, and it started! I sat there a minute to see if it would keep running... and it did. This had to be the hand of God helping us.

We drove all the way back home and went straight to the service station by our house. I asked the man there to re-charge the battery, and we then walked home. He called me a short time later and said, "Your battery is totally gone. There is nothing left in it." We had come all the way back home on a dead battery!

As I look back on that day I praise God for His miracle of safety for me and my two children. Truly, His angels were all around us in that situation!


"For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways."
Psalm 91:11 KJV

© 2007 Arlene Schwartzkopf