Monday, April 16, 2007

A Close Call

As I was driving on the freeway a vehicle in the lane to my right started to move into my lane, almost as though I weren't there. He didn't look first to see if there was anyone there. I thought he was going to hit me, but luckily he saw his error just in time. Then he moved forward and moved into my lane just in front of me, which was okay. But then a moment or two later I saw him move left again... this time right in front of a large transport truck with a long trailer. The truck was already following the vehicle in front of him much too closely, but this fellow squeezed his car into that small space in between. He didn't seem to have any sense that he might be causing problems for others or that he might be putting himself or others in danger.

As I watched him it struck me that this is the way some people go through life. As we live, the way we "move" will have impact on those around us. If we are not "in tune" with others, it is possible that we may bring pain to someone, we may endanger another or we may cause all kinds of problems for others as they try to adjust to our lack of sensitivity.

Everything we do has effect on someone around us, whether we think so or not. Someone we may not even know or be aware of may be watching our actions every day. We do not know what impression our lives may have on others. Surely we have responsibility to be aware of those around us and to live in such a way that our actions do not harm or hurt anyone.



© 2007 Arlene Schwartzkopf