Friday, September 22, 2006

Paint Project

One summer I really was in the mood to repaint the rooms of my house. And so I set about painting, one room at a time, until I had the whole house done. This project spanned over a period of about three months.

The last rooom to be completed was the dining room. It was getting late in the evening, but since I was so near being all finished, I just continued painting. I didn't want to get up to even one more day of it. I wanted to get done!

It was close to 11:00 p.m., and, with just one more small section to paint, my paint pan ran dry. So I took it down from the ladder, set it on the floor and poured more paint into it. Then, as I was moving my ladder over a bit, the next few moments became chaotic and hilarious.

Our dog Scruffy was in the basement with the youngsters when all of a sudden he heard "Daddy" come in the front door. (Daddy was his favorite person). Daddy was just coming home from work. I didn't hear him come in, but the dog did! Scruffy came flying up the stairs, through the kitchen, THROUGH THE PAINT PAN, across the dining room and living room, and took a flying leap toward Daddy, expecting to get caught in mid-air and cuddled. I started yelling, "He's full of paint! He's full of paint!" Daddy had on a navy blue suit and the paint was WHITE!

He caught the dog in mid-air and just held him there, but the dog, in his excitement, was wiggling and wagging and wasn't easy to hang onto. So I called the youngsters upstairs to rescue the situation. They took him down in the laundry tray and gave him a bath. He was a mess!

Luckily Daddy didn't get painted, but the living room carpet did! So now I had a row of white footprints to clean up. I cleaned the carpet and then finished painting. Now it was really late, but I knew when I washed out the paint roller this time I wouldn't have to do it again. The job was done!

The job came to a more exciting climax than I expected! It seems when you have pets that they wind up in the middle of everything..... even the paint pan!

© 2006 Arlene Schwartzkopf