Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A Very Present Help

Lord, I am so grateful to You. When I was weary, You saw my need..... and You helped me.....

It was late when we arrived at the emergency room, and there were many waiting for care, so I realized it might take a little time before I would get back home. As the night wore on into the wee hours... 12:00 and 1:00 and 2:00 a.m., I grew concerned, for I needed to get up early the next day.

Three o'clock came. I tried to doze, sitting in the waiting room. Finally, around 4:00 a.m., I was able to leave. I knew I would only get two hours' sleep, and that was not good.

The following morning my body was so-o-o tired. The work I needed to do lay before me, and I didn't know how I would get through the day. But I set out anyway, not really confident of my own ability at that point.

Halfway through the morning I felt my body begin to "sag down" from fatigue. Suddenly, as that was happening, I felt like something was touching my back and rib cage, almost like some sort of framework. I waited, but it didn't move. And as I waited a little longer, it still didn't move. And then I realized that the Lord was steadying and literally supporting me. His hand was upon me. I could feel the strength of His hand.

Not only was I able to get through the morning but was able to complete my entire day. The Lord had lifted me up out of my fatigue and renewed my strength.

What a gracious God we have!

"God is our refuge and strength, a very
present help in trouble."
Psalm 46:1 NKJ

© 2005 Arlene Schwartzkopf