Thursday, October 27, 2005

Taking Time to Listen

When the daily cares of life
Crowd forward for attention,
Consuming all my time and thought
And blurring good intention...

I know it's time to stop and listen,
Lest I miss the Spirit's voice.
For I could "rush" right past a turn
Or make a less-than-perfect choice.

I never want to get so busy
That I miss a loved one's cry.
I'll never know that person's heart
If I don't listen to his sigh.

I must listen with my heart,
And not just lend a "casual" ear.
Only then will I discover
All that God would have me hear.

For when I truly learn to listen
The Holy Spirit will impart
Ability to see and hear
And reach out with the Father's heart.


"Hear instruction and be wise, and do not disdain it.
Blessed is the man who listens to me."
Proverbs 8:33-34a NKJ

© 2005 Arlene Schwartzkopf