Tuesday, May 09, 2006

One Ordinary Day

If you have pets, oftentimes what are the most ordinary days can turn into mountains of fun and laughter, or even instant uproar, in just a moment's time.....

One day my mom came over to my home, and while she was there offered to help me with some of my housework. She decided to do some vacuuming, which certainly would have been an ordinary task on most days. She was vacuuming in the dining room and pushed the vacuum cleaner under the dining room table. Because I had a pretty tablecloth on the table which hung down nicely on all sides, she didn't notice whether there was really anything under the table. She was just cleaning.

All of a sudden there was a loud squealing sound..... z-z-z-zzz. It startled her and she couldn't think what to do. I said, "Quick! Turn it off! There is something caught in the belt!" She wasn't used to my vacuum cleaner and couldn't remember where the switch was, so I rushed over there and clicked it off. Then she pulled the cleaner out from under the table to see what was the matter, and here was the dog! She had caught our dog in the vacuum cleaner!

There have only been a few times in my life that I laughed as hard as I did at that moment. Both of us went into hysterics! We laughed until the tears were running down our faces and our sides were aching..... and then still laughed some more.

After several minutes I realized we probably needed to do something about getting the poor mutt extricated from this strange situation. He had been sleeping on his back, so when she pushed the vacuum cleaner under the table she caught the long shaggy hair on his tail. The vacuum pulled part of his tail in, and this long hair was all wound around the roller. He was still on his back, wiggling to try to get up on his feet, which was a funny sight in itself. He couldn't quite figure out what had happened to him.

We couldn't just pull his tail back out, so I had to take the roller off the vacuum, which was no easy task with him still attached to it. Finally, after several minutes of trying to hold him still, I was able to remove the roller and get him untangled. The good part is that he wasn't hurt, but his tail looked even more shaggy than before.

Probably this would not happen again, but we learned to look under the table before we vacuumed, just in case..... I am writing this many years later, but it still brings laughter to me as I remember that funny scene.

© 2006 Arlene Schwartzkopf